The Geotechnical Driller position is responsible for moving, set up and operation of drilling rigs and related equipment to drill holes for geotechnical exploration test boring. Site investigations and geotechnical drilling job is assisting the Geotechnical Engineer in determining the soil characteristics on construction sites. Construction Material Testing (CMT) has an immediate need for an experienced geotechnical drilling operator based out of one of multiple locations Houston, TX; Westlake, LA; Dallas, TX; Atlanta, GA or Mobile, AL. This position is responsible for the operation of the geotechnical drill rig and performs drilling functions for the subsurface collection of soils for future laboratory testing and analysis.
Geotechnical Driller Job Responsibilities
- Mobilization and demobilization of drill rig trucks for jobs as directed. (drilling equipment)
- Daily field and yard operations of rig, i.e. handling drill pipe, mixing drill mud and use of other related equipment.
- Perform various techniques of drilling including auger drilling, mud rotary, air rotary, carbide bit coring, and diamond bit coring.
- Perform various types of soil and rock sampling including standard penetration test, Texas cone penetration, and Shelby tubes.
- Install groundwater monitoring well, piezometers, and inclinometers.
- Observe and follow all company safety rules and procedures.
- Program future field equipment and supply needs weekly, monthly, and quarterly
- Direct driller helper in drilling under various conditions and to obtain soil
- and rock samples; performs other duties as assigned.
- Direct and/or assist the Drilling Helper in performing general maintenance of the drilling rig and its associated equipment to ensure safe operational conditions.
- Meet all utilization goals as determined by Manager or supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Functions of the Geotechnical Driller Position
- Uses drilling equipment to drill into the ground to retrieve soils samples
- Ensures accurate visual inspections of soil samples
- Logs inspection results for reporting purposes
- Holds the drill rod during the drilling process
- Responsible for loading and unloading drilling equipment in and out of the company vehicle
- Drives company vehicle to and from work sites
- Communicates effectively with clients, employees, and supervisors
Minimum Requirements for a Geotechnical Driller
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Two years’ experience in geotechnical drilling
- Experience in instrumentation installation and wireline rock coring required
- Valid CDL is preferred, not required
- Must be willing to travel
- Must be able to follow verbal instructions
- Basic computer skills required
Geotech Driller’s Physical Requirements
- Ability to work in the outside elements of the field up to 100% of scheduled work hours
- Required to remain standing for up to 8 hours per workday and walk on uneven/unstable surfaces, concrete, grass, dirt, gravel
- Must be able to bend, stoop and climb
- Must be able to effectively communicate verbally
- Required to be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to manipulate with hands to screw and unscrew equipment, operate tools and machinery
- Must be able to drive a company vehicle in a safe manner
- Ability to travel and stay overnight, work flexible schedules including overtime, based on the workload of the Drilling Department
About CMT and the Geotechnical Driller Position and Job
CMT was formed in 1951 to provide quality assurance, and quality control for new and existing construction projects related to the Agriculture, Commercial/Retail, Disaster Response, Federal, Financial, Healthcare, Industrial, Logistics, Oil & Gas, Power Generation/Transmission, Technology, Telecommunications, and Transportation/Infrastructure industries as well as community development. At Construction Material Testing (CMT), we are a Drug-Free Workplace and require all new hires to complete a pre-employment drug screen test, criminal background check, and motor vehicle report.
At CMT, employees are encouraged to expand their skills and certifications through company provided training and mentoring. Construction Material Testing (CMT) offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, PTO, Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP), and paid holidays. As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or disability status. Construction Material Testing (CMT) strives to ensure that its careers web site is accessible to all.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Construction Material Testing (CMT) is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans. Please contact us for more information.