Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS) is seeking a Financial Controller to help with their complex program of offerings and to supervise and coordinate their diverse funding sources, including state, federal, corporate, and foundation funding. This position has a heavy emphasis on reporting, requiring the Financial Controller’s role to focus heavily on financial functions. Knowledge and understanding of non-profit budget requirements for this role is critical to the Financial Controller’s success, as well as the interpersonal skills and abilities required to work closely with program leaders. Strong team management experience will also be key to being a successful Financial Controller for TUTS.
The Financial Controller reports to the Director of Operations (DOO), the Financial Controller will be responsible for the oversight of finance, accounting, and financial reporting activities. The Financial Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the Board’s finance and audit committee and will work closely with the senior leadership team. The Financial Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations of an $18M annual operating budget and supervise financial administrative support personnel including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll reconciliation, and grants administration. The Financial Controller will ensure that TUTS has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits.
The Financial Controller will work closely with the program leaders and their staffs. Educating and providing guidance to staff on finance and accounting procedures, as well as exploring how the finance function can best support program operations.
In addition, the Financial Controller will partner with the DOO, senior leadership team, and the Director Human Resources (HR) and information technology systems (ITS) staff to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems to ensure compliance with applicable GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate audit activity.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Support the DOO in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of TUTS financial status.
- Oversee payroll processes related to reconciliation/audit and verifying quarterly tax filings.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Assist TUTS leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Oversee financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the program directors; continuously collaborate with program directors to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.