The Payroll and Benefits Specialist coordinates full cycle HR processes in the areas of benefits administration and payroll/HRIS and is responsible for implementing and coordinating firm wide HR initiatives for all offices, as well as other HR related projects, as needed.
- Holds a strong working knowledge of principles and practices of HR, specifically in payroll and benefits.
- Works effectively with partners, clients and all levels of Firm personnel, especially under potentially stressful situations.
- Works effectively, both independently and in a team environment.
- Holds a proactive and positive attitude, strong attention to detail, strong organizational and time management skills; meets daily, weekly and monthly deadlines consistently.
- Initiates and implements improvements in all areas of HR responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in HR or related field and 2 – 5 years’ Human Resources experience, OR
- Experience with managing payroll for groups of >150 employees;
- OR any appropriate combination of education and experience.
- PHR or SPHR certification highly desired.
- Requires intermediate to advanced knowledge of principles and practices of Human Resources Management
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Handles all aspects of payroll processing for attorneys and staff, including maintaining employee time records.
- Manages and monitors HRIS, payroll and other HR systems.
- Performs benefits administration to include claims resolution, change reporting, preparing invoice spreadsheets for accounting group reconciliation, paying HR benefits invoices online, assisting with the annual evaluation of policies for cost effectiveness and budget.
- Prepares and maintains employee files, assuring accuracy, compliance and confidentiality.
- Develops and manages New Hire Orientation and other staff training programs, as needed.
- Establishes and maintains department records and reports.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings, as needed.
- Responsible for assisting with development, planning and implementing firm wide payroll and benefits initiatives, including UI tax entity set up by state.
- Works with Accounting to provide reports; reconciles payroll to the general ledger.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
- Assists with development, recommendation, and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; helps maintain the employee handbook, HR policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates relevant HR-related information to superiors; responds/acts on upper-management direction.
- Delivers engaging, informative, well-organized presentations.
- Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion.
- Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Relays relevant HR-related information to the Firm in a timely manner.
Physical Activities/ Requirements:
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- Ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Ability to use a desktop computer, phone, fax, copier and other general office equipment as needed.
- Normal business hours are Monday through Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and will vary based on needs of staff and firm initiatives. Evening and weekend work may be required.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This position reports to the Director of Human Resources. Please send resumes via email to Julie Stevenson at jstevenson(at)pattersonsheridan.com.