Duane Morris LLP is seeking a Legal Assistant (Legal Secretary) in their Dallas, Texas office.
Qualified Legal Assistant applicants will be expected to be able to perform most or all of the following duties:
- Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney/client relationships.
- Maintains current knowledge of clients and contacts.
- Organizes and coordinates legal meetings including client interviews, hearings and depositions.
- Provides valued added tasks for clients, recording time in DTE.
- Prepares forms including accident reports, courtroom requests and client applications
- Prepares and manages correspondence.
- Proofreads and edits legal documents.
- Prepares and processes standard legal documents including subpoenas, contracts, summons, appeals, warrants and motions.
- Sets up and maintains databases and files.
- Documents and maintains case files.
- Handles incoming mail. Ensure timely receipt of outgoing mail; may engage special delivery services. Handles faxes.
- Maintains schedules and calendars including court diaries.
- Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks with record center and maintains on-line and hard copy files. Stores older files; prepares files for closure.
- Coordinates billing, proofs billing sheets, and reviews and edits bills.
- Makes appointments and assists with travel arrangements for attorneys.
- May occasional work overtime and irregular hours.
- Works closely with administrative support staff; is team oriented.
- Supports other departments with overload typing, filing, photocopying, faxing, or reception relief.
- May transcribe documents.
- May perform other related duties.
- High school degree or equivalent required
- Minimum five years’ experience in a legal environment
- Working knowledge of legal procedures and legal terminology
- Knowledge of local, state and federal filing rules
- Proficient in spelling, punctuation, grammar and other English language skills
- Basic math skills in order to verify calculations on documents.
- Transcription and typing skills (70 w.p.m.) for legal documents, correspondence, rough draft and dictation.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures.
- Working knowledge of Office 2016 (Word, Power Point, Excel); E-file (for Trial and Bankruptcy practices); Office Chrome River a plus
- Ability to organize and prioritize within strict time constraints.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate in person and electronically.
- Ability to follow instructions from a diverse group of clients and attorneys
- Courtesy and tact.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Discretion, confidentiality, integrity
- Customer service orientation
- Good judgment and decision-making
- Stress tolerance
- More than occasional overtime will be required
Interested and qualified Legal Assistant applicants are encouraged to apply here: https://www.duanemorris.com/site/careers.html#tab_SupportStaffOpportunities.