BakerHostetler has an excellent opportunity for an Office Administrator in their Houston office. The position is an exempt position that reports to the Houston Office’s Managing Partner. This role will oversee and manage the day to day financial and operational activities of the local Houston office in the delivery of support services to attorneys.
- Manage the development, presentation, execution, and analysis of the Houston office budget and provide detailed information in support of office budget for review and approval of the Managing Partner, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operating Partner and Chairman.
- Manage client collections at the direction of the Managing Partner and/or Billing Attorney and provide supporting billing information to clients as requested. Establish payment schedules with full authority.
- Approve employee reimbursements and vendor invoices through Chrome River expense management software.
- Ensure office compliance with Houston IOLTA (Interest on Lawyers’ Trust Accounts) rules.
- Participate in the Houston office strategic and business planning.
- Formulate, implement, and oversee Houston office policy and procedures.
- Work with Director of Administration regarding Houston office space planning, office renovations and relocations.
- Work with the Facilities Manager and act as liaison with building management, city, and other contract services such as cleaning, maintenance, lighting, and heating/air conditioning.
- Work closely with Business Continuity Manager, Director of Administration and Managing Partner for all Firm-initiated disaster preparedness to include adjusting hours and/or closing office in anticipation of natural or man-made disaster.
- Act as a liaison between the Houston and Firmwide Administrative Departments.
- Assist attorneys as needed to ensure they have the support needed for their Practice Management.
- Work with the Human Resource Manager to confer with staff to formulate and institute office procedures and meet with them on a bi-annual basis at a minimum.
- Direct operation and maintenance of office facilities such as safety programs, security systems, supplies, and equipment.
- Monitor Houston office budget on a monthly basis, control expenditures, compile and analyze expenditures and projected costs, and prepare reports for partners and management as requested.
- Oversee the office accounting functions including accounts receivable, accounts payable, petty cash, and trust accounts.
- Negotiate contracts with the approval of the Director of Administration with various vendors to ensure optimal savings and ensure that Firm national vendors are being utilized.
- Manage the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of subordinate supervisors, which includes the Human Resources Manager, Records Supervisor, Facilities Manager, Receptionist, and Ricoh (Office Services).
- Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, addressing complaints, and resolving problems. Handle supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business with a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience. Master’s degree and/or a Certified Legal Manager (CLM) a plus. Experience in law firm operation preferred.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with ability to prioritize multiple tasks and projects to meet deadlines. A tolerance for uncertainty and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects with minimal supervision and collaborate with other members of the team. Demonstrate good judgment, tact, and flexibility under pressure in a mixed-matrix environment with many stakeholders and potentially competing priorities.
- Strong analytical and communication skills in both written and oral formats. Ability to interact effectively with attorneys and other key personnel; to manage and exceed expectations, and to exhibit a high degree of responsiveness, diplomacy, and professionalism in these interactions. Ability to effectively present information to top Firm management and respond to questions from all levels of professional and support staff and clients.
- Strong project management skills. Project and team management experience with attention to detail and a willingness to “roll up sleeves” and operate at whatever level is needed to accomplish tasks. Ability to lead and build consensus among attorneys and staff. Ability to work with various department resources.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. General knowledge of accounting principles, auditing, and internal control concepts. Ability to concentrate and conduct complex and detailed analysis of financial situations.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint. Demonstrated ability to employ software at the power-user competence level. Proven aptitude to learn new software applications.
- Ability to exercise discretion with confidential and sensitive information and to demonstrate impeccable integrity in personal and fiduciary matters.
- Must be able to perform essential duties of the position with time constraints and interruptions. Ability to work overtime when needed. Work occasionally requires more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should submit their resume to HOURecruiting@bakerlaw.com. Please remember to include the job title and office location in the subject or body of your email. Full link and additional description here.